Welcome to What Rob Thinks.

The following blog contains my personal opinions only and do not reflect any correlation to business dealings or professional associations.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Hospitals

This weekend I had to put my elderly mother into a local hospital for a swollen finger. First we spent 5 1/2 hours at an emergency room at another local hospital before they decided they didn't know what to do and transfered her, by ambulance, where she needed to be for surgery and treatment.

I've had my fair share of time in the original hospitals emergency room and it has always been an ordeal. Never have I gotten treatment within 3 hours, sometimes it's taken 9. In the end I think that hospital is a sorry excuse for a healthcare facility.

I am eligible for treatment at the Veterans Hospital here in Houston. I remember when I was originally medically retired from the service the place was a shambles. Getting to see a doctor took days, sometimes weeks. To get a doctor that spoke and understood English was an even longer wait. Wards were a nightmare with conditions that you'll occasionally see in movies that want to show the treatment of veterans in a bad light. At the time the movies were accurate. In the last several years the place has had a complete transformation into an excellent healthcare facility and even though I have the opportunity to purchase civilian health insurance, in the event I could not, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the VA.

Once we arrived at the hospital where she recieved treatment it was incredibly efficient, friendly and professional. I look back a few years when I was in for surgery in the same hospital and it was exactly the same then. I was immediately placed in the ER room, not the waiting room. Blood was drawn within minutes, vital statistics were recorded and a treatment plan, including surgery was established within an hour. I was taken to a private room and given all the amenities a hospital can provide. The next morning I was prepped for surgery and introduced to the surgeon. At that time I admitted my morbid fear of general anesthetic and, once warned of the dangers and drawbacks of a local anesthetic, was provided that option. Being awake during major surgery is an experience but it was better than being put under, for me at least. After my surgery I was wheeled to recovery and soon thereafter I was back in my room and being treated like a king. I was there a couple of days and even though it was a hospital, couldn't have been better.

My mothers treatment was almost identical. Once she was transferred by ambulance she was immediately taken to a private room and provided everything she needed. The nurses were outstanding in their professionalism and the care they showed to an elderly woman. Her surgery was the next morning and she was given the best of everything. She was even given a stuffed bear for companionship and a special pillow for her arthritic neck. This is above and beyond the call of duty in my thoughts. Tomorrow she goes for her follow-up surgery to close the wound and she's scheduled to be discharged in the evening if all goes well.

I know it's not much, but the good people at that hospital will be receiving a letter from me expressing my gratitude for their efforts. I wish more hospitals were like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment